As a Feng Shui Consultant I believe in the deep connection we have to the environments in which we live. Our spirits live in these bodies, and our bodies live in these spaces. Let's take care of ourselves from the inside out, and from the outside in.

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I'm trying to think of something in life that is as wonderfully forgiving as yoga. I just love that I can walk in to any yoga class anywhere and feel like I'm not being judged or laughed at. In fact, it's quite the opposite. A yoga class is one of those unique environments where you're alone, but also surrounded by supportive energy and connected to the people sharing the class with you. Well, now that I really think about that, I guess a yoga class isn't unique in that--that's life! It reminds me of a quote I jotted down while watching the movie "P.S. I Love You" the other day. "You're all alone no matter what. So now, all alone or not, you've got to walk ahead. Thing to remember is, if we're all alone, then we're all together in that too."

The whole idea behind yoga is that it's a personal experience. It's a body/breath/spirit practice each and every time you do it. I've been practicing yoga regularly for many years and I still can't always get my heels to the floor in downward facing dog. I'm a little bit lower in my split, but only a little bit. I'm much better at arm balances, but have so much room for growth. As my instructor was guiding us through class today she likened yoga to life in that it's in the challenge that we grow stronger. If our minds are wandering and we lose our focus then we need to push ourselves harder. Pull back on the inhale, go deeper on the exhale. And if it hurts, stop! Our bodies tell us when we've reached our limit and we need to listen.

I've realized that I've been daydreaming less the past six months or so. I used to gaze out my kitchen window and imagine I was doing dishes at my waterfront cottage, cleaning up after fixing a healthy snack of fresh seasonal fruit, preparing to jump in my kayak tied up right outside and go exploring. I'd like to think that I'm more mindful, being more present in the moment, but I'm still working on that. I think, however, that I have developed a greater sense of happiness with life as it is right now. I've been doing some things that are out of my regular routine, if you will. I traveled to Italy by myself for a week. I built a website and started a Feng Shui consulting business. I'm working on workshops and presentations. I'm pushing myself a little further and my mind hasn't had the opportunity to wander. Just like yoga!

And living in balance--that challenge and ease, that forward movement and rest--that's an aggressive goal! A body in motion stays in motion, but you have to listen when your body says it's had enough for now. When your kids or your husband say, "hey, we haven't seen you in a while", or when you look out your window and see your tulips have popped out of the ground and you wonder when spring arrived--you've got to listen, and breathe, and relax on the inhale. Those are those moments in between when we gain our strength and maintain our balance.

peace, love, and savasana...

1 comment:

  1. I thing am also going through a phase of day dreaming. I am having hard time focusing/concentrating. Although, I do all my day to day chores that I am suppose to do. But, I feel my brain has come to a saturation point.

    ReplyDelete