As a Feng Shui Consultant I believe in the deep connection we have to the environments in which we live. Our spirits live in these bodies, and our bodies live in these spaces. Let's take care of ourselves from the inside out, and from the outside in.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Overflowing Cups are free!

Money.
It's such a nasty word.

Let's think about it for a second. Money is really just a currency we exchange for something that we want. We earn it for satisfactorily performing an action that is pleasing someone else. So we're pleasing others to satisfy out own desires. I see this going down a different path than my original intention so I'm going to steer myself away from the "working for the man" path and redirect toward the "do what you love" path.

The discussion of money can add so much stress to a situation. Something we've learned as adults is, unless you're in very familiar company, don't discuss money, religion, or politics. I remember never wanting to ask my parents for money when I was in high school and college because I could just see the stress in their faces. Asking for more money in a job is one of the hardest things to do. Negotiating big purchases is an art form, and it takes great skill and detachment. We have to be willing to walk away from whatever it is we're are trying to acquire--and that it stressful!

But if we pause, and take a step back, we can see that we can be just as happy and satisfied with less. Set aside the American pattern of always wanting more...bigger...newer...upgraded. You can have tulips shipped in from Holland because you love them so much, but can't daisies or roses be just as beautiful and pleasing to the senses? You can save and save to go on your dream vacation, but can't we find the same adventure and sensory experience if we take a train rather than a plane, or stay in a hostel or with friends rather than a glorious hotel? The exchange of money does not equal the ultimate satisfaction. Working and earning every day toward an idealized end is not a way to live a full and balanced life. And so often that end doesn't meet our grand expectations and we're left disappointed. Disappointed and stressed out for all it took us to get there. Bummer.

I guess this goes back to my long held "work hard, play hard" philosophy. Of course, I think there should be some sense of play in our work--we should enjoy what we spend the majority of our time doing. (Conversely, do I think there should be some work in our play? I don't know about that.) And as I get older, I'm moderating my philosophy to more of a "work pretty hard, play pretty hard." A gentler way of existing.

Maybe all of this is just a way for me to figure out how I'm going to get to Greece for less than what I spent going to Italy (which was not too bad, if you ask me). But I really believe that it doesn't have to be prohibitive to travel, to remodel, to change your style, to throw a wedding, or to feed your family healthy food. Maybe it's part sacrifice, part creativity and resourcefulness. But life is too short to not have some joy in each day and some bliss on a regular basis. To suffer day after day as a means to an end is a waste. Maybe if we can open our eyes to the gifts we have before us in each moment, we'll see that the exchange of money is not what creates happiness, but that simply living with gratitude and awareness will fill our souls. And even when we feel full and abundant, there is always room to add more when it comes to us.

I am going to try to figure out why it is so challenging to post a comment to my blog. Hopefully by the time you're done reading this I'll have made it easier. I'd love to read your comments and your take on what I post. These are just my ideas which can always be expanded upon, enhanced, or even changed based on the input of others! And if I can spur contemplation in someone else then I feel I'm being successful in my writing. So please, comment away!

3 comments:

  1. This is a test. If you can see that I can comment on my own blog, then feel free to comment as well! Peace~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the joy factor of life. We probably don't save like we should or buy all the house trimmings everyone else has because we believe in our vacations. I think we all need that time to get away and be away from all the stresses of our daily life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think finding joy in the small everyday things, here and now, means not needing to remodel, change your style or throw an extravagant wedding. Those are all surface things that coincidentally(?) cost money. Not that I'm immune! But when I get distracted by that stuff, I try to refocus on what's really important. And it never involves money.

    ReplyDelete