As a Feng Shui Consultant I believe in the deep connection we have to the environments in which we live. Our spirits live in these bodies, and our bodies live in these spaces. Let's take care of ourselves from the inside out, and from the outside in.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Operation Baby Years--completed

I took two of my kids to the park the other day. I didn't pack a diaper bag or push a stroller, I just grabbed a bag of goldfish, a bottle of water, and my book and off we went. The fenced in play zone was full of princesses, Star Wars characters, and cowboys. Sweet little Halloween costumes on toddlers and preschoolers, running, exploring, challenging themselves on rope ladders with the secure hovering hand of Mom close behind them in case they had taken on too much.



I plopped myself on the ground and savored the quiet time while my kids wandered around and took it all in. It has been a while since we've gone to the park. With 3 kids 3 years apart, the park was always very challenging for me. The oldest running to find other kids her age to make new friends, the middle always ready to find something new and dangerous to climb on, and the youngest either strapped to my chest or patiently entertaining herself in her car seat as I whirled her from one corner of the playground to the other. Once all 3 were mobile, forget it. I just couldn't keep up. Now I had one at a play date and an 8 year old and a 6 year old who were big enough to not get seriously hurt if they fell from the tallest part of the play set. I was finally one of those Moms who could savor some "me time" and not continually dart visually from left to right counting the heads of her children.



"I just pee'd in the woods. Is that funny?" I looked up from my reading to see a little cowboy glancing down at me inquisitively. I giggled and said, "Yes, that is kinda funny. Is that supposed to be a secret?" He just paused and walked away. Oh, little kids make me laugh! By the swings I caught a conversation between Moms about how different the park is now that their child is walking, interrupted by warnings of walking in front of the swings and the dangers of eating bark. I'll admit, I don't miss those conversations. I'm all done comparing notes on developmental milestones, teething, and mysterious rashes. It is so important to be around other Moms that are at the same stage as you when you have little ones. I was there for many, many years. But I wanted to read my book--I had no interest in engaging in their conversation. That was their time.



My two were climbing up the slide, practicing gymnastics moves on the bars, and watching these little people with wonder. When had we stopped living in this world of pull-ups and velcro shoes? It looked a little foreign to my kids, and frankly, I felt a little bit of the same. When you're raising kids, you can't really declare yourself officially done with one phase and on to the next. The borders are blurred. We're all in Elementary school now, but we're still in booster seats, I'm still brushing their teeth for them, and a snuggle from Mommy can still make a bonk on the head feel better. If I could look into the future a few years, I'll bet I'll be nostalgic for these days.



I watched as my son helped a little boy on the final steps of his climb. The little boy turned to my 6-year old and said, "thank you, sir" and ran away to continue his adventure. I found this to be hilarious, and I could tell my little guy felt like a pretty big kid at that moment. He still occasionally wets the bed and has a meltdown about once a day, but to the current regulars at the playground, he's what they're all working hard to become. And with that, I will declare myself officially done with the baby years, and proud to have made it through with three little role models for the current regulars at the playground.

1 comment:

  1. So true. The borders do blur. I remember the days of both being in Elementary School and feeling like I'd taken that next step. Now that I have one going into Middle School next year, I've decided I don't want to climb the stairs anymore. ;) But it all goes by so quickly and blends together an before you know it.... sigh. Love you blog Cristin!

    ReplyDelete