As a Feng Shui Consultant I believe in the deep connection we have to the environments in which we live. Our spirits live in these bodies, and our bodies live in these spaces. Let's take care of ourselves from the inside out, and from the outside in.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Harsh realities

Well, if Mercury didn't just SLAM out of retrograde yesterday. What a day. It began beautifully in nature--watching my kids run through the woods and splash in the creek...then we crashed in to a new reality upon discovering our car had been broken in to in the parking lot. I was craving a connection with my true environment, to be out and present in nature. As we climbed the trail I talked with my kids about the animals that call this place home. We imagined a time when there was no road cutting through this place and no trail worn yet.

Then the harsh reality that the world is not all as gentle as that. Shattered glass everywhere. Suspisions and accusations flying around. The workmen who were lingering in the parking lot? Entitled teenagers?  Desperate downtroddens who saw no other alternative? Little eyes looking up to me to see how I reacted, so they could know how to feel.

I ensured they had shoes on their feet and made a safe place for them to sit when the rain started to fall. We talked about the kindness of the strangers who first noticed the break-in and called for help, then stayed to share what they found. And the police officers who were light-hearted and generous as they swept the shards of glass from the seats and the floor mats.

There were four attempts to withdraw cash from my credit cards. I can't explain that to my children, except to tell then that no everyone is as fortunate as we are. Then I received a message last night from a woman who was "dumpster diving" and found my purse. The image in my head of this woman rummaging through garbage to find anything of value and her taking the step to call me to return what is mine. How do we make sense of these things? My day ended sobbing in my husband's arms. The world is not always gentle. But if we focus on it's ugliness or fear it's harshness, then what happens to us? We become cynical and untrusting. That is not what I want to teach my kids.


There was a time when this planet was so much simpler--purer. That's what I want my children to hold in their hearts for as long as they can. That's what I want to hold in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Life doesn't play favorites, or run by our scripts..your presence and the example you (so observantly) presented to your kids, are what really matters. They too will have "days like this", and the life lessons you teach will be part of them forever. The reality that we are all ONE is tested at a time like this, but the joy of that fact is felt in the love in your hubby's arms, and from my heart to you, right now.

    You are dancing a beautiful life....we are fortunate to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just taught them the most important lesson of all, that when we see the worst in people we have to go find the best in people. I know when I was carjacked I doubted the world, but I was given the gift the next morning of being a part of my nephew's birth. The Universe finds a way to offset the bad with the good and we must trust in that.

    You are one amazing lady and mama. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete